PARENT CODE OF CONDUCT
Parents must understand the commitment their child has when playing VYI Basketball. The player is expected to attend every practice and game unless physically unable to do so. Once a child has committed to VYI Basketball the league expects the team to be the primary out of school activity. The coach is volunteering his time to teach the children fundamental basketball skills and it is incumbent on the player and parents to respect that and to do everything in their power to meet this commitment, as well as supporting the coach.
Parents also have further commitments in our program as follows:
1. Parents are expected to register, pay, and electronically sign a statement prior to the start of assessments or tryouts, which states that they understand and will abide by all VYI rules and regulations and will do their best to bring their child to every practice and game on time unless they have received advance approval from the coach to miss that event. Players/parents must notify coaches in advance if they are to miss any practice or team function. If they do not do so, or gain advance approval for an absence, their child is subject to reductions in playing time at the discretion of the coach and VYI Basketball.
2. Parents must refrain from communicating with their child while the child is playing basketball. This includes during the game, while the player is on the bench, at time outs or at half time, unless the communication is of a personal nature unrelated to basketball. Parents should never direct their child to do sometihing different then what the coach is teaching.
3. The coach will manage the use of players for each game keeping in mind the need for strict adherence to the participation rule and parents must agree the coach will determine the fundamental skills they will teach and stress, and determine the offense and defense to teach and run during the game.
4. Abusive comments must never be yelled by spectators at officials, coaches, other team's parents or players, or parents or players of their own team. Parents or other spectators found guilty of this infraction will be restricted from attending one or more games as punishment. Inappropriate behaviour or comments by a parent will not be tolerated and that parent runs the risk of being suspended or terminated from the program in the sole discretion of VYI. Parents must not yell at, argue with, or treat a referee with disrespect. Parents are not permitted to physically contact a referee during, before or after a game. Parents are not permitted to approach a referee during, before or after a game to discuss the manner in which a game is officiated. Parents are not permitted to engage referees during a game.
5. Parents should cheer positively for their own team and should never talk or yell while another team is at the foul line, or try to distract a player while they are shooting. Parents or other spectators found guilty of this infraction will be restricted from attending one or more games as punishment.
6. If parents wish to speak with a coach, about playing time or strategy issues, specifically before or after a game, VYI asks that they do not do so. Issues of this type should be approached in a quiet environment and the coaches have been instructed, if they feel harrassed in any way, to refer parents to the League Commissioner for their age and gender with these types of issues. Parents should contact the coach via email whenever possible, unless it is an emergency.
7. Parents and players must do their part in notifying coaches of practices to be missed, getting players to practice on time and in picking up players after practice. Coaches are not child sitters and would like to leave right after practice just like the families of our players. Coaches are strictly prohibited from having an unattended child in his/her care so parents must be diligent in arriving on time.
Parents should encourage their children to call the coach directly when missing a practice rather than calling themselves. This is a life lesson in growing up and taking responsibility for their actions that we would appreciate parents supporting.
8. VYI strives to run its program to meet the needs of all concerned, including parents, children and coaches. If there is a problem parents are encouraged to deal with the situation discreetly and maturely. In the event a parent feels that his or her complaint is not being fully addressed by the coach, then that parent should follow the "Dispute Resolution" policy listed under "Parents" on the Basketball WEB menu.
I acknowledge that any violation of the above Parents Code of Conduct or any violation of VYI rules may result, at the discretion of the gradel level league commissioner, in a suspension for one (1) or more games and/or permanent removal from VYI events. Any such suspension or permanent removal is non-appealable and does not require ejection from a game by an official.
I acknowledge that any ejection from a game will result in a minimum suspension of one (1) week including the team’s next practice and game, and, at the discretion of the league commissioner, may result in suspension for more than the one (1) week minimum and/or permanent removal from VYI events, if such additional suspension and/or removal is deemed necessary and appropriate. Any such suspension or permanent removal is non-appealable.
Players Code of Conduct
-I hereby pledge to be positive about my youth sports experience and accept responsibility for my participation by following this Players Code of Conduct.
-I will encourage good sportsmanship from fellow players, coaches, officials and parents at every game and practice by demonstrating good sportsmanship.
-I will attend every practice and game that I can, and will notify my coach if I cannot.
-I will expect to receive a fair and equal amount of playing time (NOT APPLICABLE TO THE COUNTY TEAMS).
-I will do my very best to listen and learn from my coaches.
-I will treat my coaches, other players, officials and fans with respect regardless of race, sex, creed or abilities; and I will expect to be treated accordingly.
-I deserve to have fun during my sports experience and will alert parents or coaches if it stops being fun!
-I deserve to play in an environment that is free of drugs, tobacco and alcohol, and expect adults to refrain from their use at all youth sports events.
-I will encourage my parents to be involved with my team in some capacity because it is important to me.
-I will do my very best in school.
-I will remember that participating in sports is an opportunity to learn and have fun.
- I will be follow the rules of basketball and VYI; and I will be respectfully to my opponents, coaches and officials. I will conduct myself appropriately during all VYI events.
- I acknowledge that I am an extension of the VYI organization and agree to conduct myself in a fashion that will bring pride to VYI. I will abide by the Code of Conduct.
- I acknowledge that any violation of the above Coaches Code of Conduct or any violation of VYI rules may result, at the discretion of the league commissioner, in a suspension for one (1) or more games and/or permanent removal as a VYI player. Any such suspension or permanent removal is non-appealable and does not require ejection from a game by an official.
- I acknowledge that any ejection from a game will result in a minimum suspension of one (1) week including the team’s next practice and game, and, at the discretion of the league commissioner, may result in suspension for more than the one (1) week minimum and/or permanent removal as VYI player, if such additional suspension and/or removal is deemed necessary and appropriate. Any such suspension or permanent removal is non-appealable.